The college started off with its affiliation from Calcutta University in July 1899 as Grade ‘B’ college, named as the ‘Dublin University Mission College’ under the founder Principal Rev. J.A. Murray. The college was started in a rent-free bungalow attached to the Post Office with a total of twenty five students in the college. The teaching staff consisted of Rev. J.A. Murray who taught English and Logic, Mr. C.N. Dey who taught mathematics and science, Rev. P.L. Singh who taught History, and Mr. B.D.S. Choudhary, who taught Indian languages. In 1900, the college was shifted to a place called Khirgaon at Akshays Babu’s residence, where the first hostel was opened with Prof. C.N. Dey as the first Hostel Superintendent. In June 1901, the college migrated to the Mess House and the neighbouring Post Office Bungalow, and the college became a residential college, with Rev. S. Thompson as the Principal. With total student strength of 87 by this time, out of which 45 resided in the college hostel, the college was soon upgraded in 1904 to Grade ‘A’ college on the basis of its spectacular performance and excellence. Its academic brilliance was shown with the introduction of graduate-level courses in 1904. In the year 1906-07, it was anointed as “St. Columba’s College”, the present name, after the name of the famous Irish Saint Columba. In 1908, the college entered into possession of the present permanent building. In 1917, the science block was inaugurated by the then Lieutenant Governor of Bihar and Orissa, Sir Edward Gait, and around this time, Rev. H.G.S. Kennedy became the Principal of the college, later followed by, Rev. G.C.P. Stevenson. In 1925, the college witnessed the arrival of Mahatma Gandhi in the historical ‘Whitley Hall’ from where he addressed the staff and students on social service. In 1930, Mr A.F. Markham became the Principal of the college. The 1930s and 1940s saw much idealistic discourses in the college that were related to Indian freedom struggle. After independence, in 1948, the National Cadet Corps [NCC] was formed in the college under the command of LT. R.N. Chakravorty. In 1952, the college became a part of Bihar University, and, in 1964, St. Columba’s College became a constituent unit of Ranchi University. Acknowledging its contribution to higher education, Post-Graduate teaching was introduced in the college in 1972 in several departments, and the college was recognized as a Post Graduate College with Post-Graduate Affiliation from University Grants Commission, New Delhi, in 1987. Continuing its unending glorious journey, it turned into a glaring constituent unit of Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribagh, in 1992. However, Post-graduate teaching in all subjects except Chemistry was shifted to the university headquarters, leaving for major undergraduate programmes to be continued in the college. Apart from its traditional wings, the college, understanding the need for vocationalisation of education, introduced two courses, Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology and Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Application way back in 1994-95. Subsequently, Bachelor’s Degree in Education was also introduced to instil professional and academic brilliance among the aspirers of educational career. In 2019, Post-graduate programme in six subjects, including, English, Economics, History, Political Science, Hindi and Philosophy has been re-introduced in the college, besides Chemistry. Apart from this, the college has also introduced a Certificate Course in Persian. The college plans to introduce more professional and vocational subjects in the near future, keeping in tune with the changing needs of the society. Over the years, the college has progressed to newer heights under various esteemed principals. The legacy of educational pioneership is being continued till date under the present Principal, Rev. (Dr.) Sushil Kumar Toppo.